WSM Policies, 2022-23
COVID-19/Private Lessons/Group Classes/Chamber Music & PTG/Summer Day Programs/Media Release
Your signature on the Registration Form indicates that you have read, and agree to be bound by, these Policies.
Please also note:
For all classes offered through the Wayland Recreation Department, please register at their website. These classes operate under Wayland Recreation policies.
It should be understood that during the COVID-19 situation, while Wayland School of Music is committed to offering on-site instruction whenever possible, we cannot guarantee it. Depending on local/state guidelines and policies with regard to quarantine etc., lessons may be on-site, on-screen, or a combination of the two. We are committed both to your safety, and to giving you the best possible learning experience in either delivery format.
For the protection of all concerned, please do not come to the building if your student is sick or infected, or is deemed to be in quarantine per guidelines in effect at the time. In this case, the lesson can be taken online via our dedicated zoom platform (or the connection method of your choice).
Private Lesson Policies
WSM Private Lesson Policies are standard for professional music schools with high-quality faculty, and reflect the following principles:
- Students experience the most progress and enjoyment from their instrument lessons when there is a firm weekly commitment that is supported by their parents and caregivers.
- Your lesson time is reserved for you, whether you are there or not.
- Your WSM teacher is an experienced professional who is under contract to be available for your reserved lesson time, and to be paid for it (a necessity to retain high-quality faculty).
- Enrollment commitment: Once a student has had a try-out lesson and the student’s parent has signed (electronically or by hand) and submitted the registration form, the student is considered “enrolled”, and is committed for the complete semester (or summer session) at the agreed-upon schedule.
- Scheduling: Private lesson times, once confirmed, are considered permanent for the semester (or summer session), and subject to # 3 & 4 below. Revised lesson times are not guaranteed and are subject to availability. No refunds will be given if teachers are not able to meet time change requests subsequent to confirmation, but families are welcome to try to switch with another family in that teacher's studio via the swap list.
- Payment: Payment is due in full before the first lesson of the semester, or may be split as follows:
First payment (50% of total of semester tuition and fees) is due before the first lesson of the semester.
Second payment (50% total of semester tuition and fees) is due within one calendar month of the first day of the semester.
Late enrollment will be pro-rated. If enrolling one calendar month after first day of semester, payment is in full.
Payments may be made by check, online bank transfer, or credit card. Payment plans are available on request; in this case, payment is required by credit card or post-dated checks.
- Termination of lessons, payments, and refunds: Once enrolled as in (1) above, written notification is required for termination. Failure to attend lessons does not qualify as notification of termination, and does not release a student from his/her financial obligations as hereunder, whether previously paid in full or with payments still outstanding.
Once written notification of termination is received by email, or delivered to us by regular mail, your financial responsibility for any outstanding payments is as follows. Written notice:
- Received on scheduled date of first lesson of semester: a) by 10am - no lesson fees due; b) after 10am - one lesson fee due.
- Received within one calendar month of first day of the semester: 50% of your semester invoice is due, as (3) above.
- Received at any time thereafter: full semester payment (or pro-rated payment if joining late) is due, as in (3) above.
Refunds: any refunds for lesson fees already paid in part or in full are subject to the Termination policies and Payment Schedule above. Registration fees are not refundable.
- Lessons missed by teachers: Any lessons missed by us, for any reason, will be made up or credited to you.
- Excused absences: All students are permitted one excused absence per semester for sickness or true emergency. An excused absence is defined as: Absence for illness or serious emergency, notified by 10am for a weekday lesson, and 8am for weekend lessons.
An excused absence will be either made up, or credited to you if we can’t find a mutually agreeable time. A rescheduled lesson for an excused makeup is subject to the usual policies.
For all other absences, please see below.
- Holiday weekends: Although we follow the Wayland Public School calendar, for the sake of continuity we generally teach private lessons on holiday weekends and holiday Mondays for those who are in town.
If you have a Sat/Sun/Mon lesson and will be traveling out of town on a holiday weekend or holiday Monday, you will receive a makeup or credit as long as you give us seven days written notice so that your teacher can consolidate their schedule.
This does not “use up” your excused absence as in (6) above.
- Unexcused absences are those you may decide to take for sports, parties, school events/trips, non-emergency dentist/doctor appointments, family events/trips when school is in session, etc. etc. These will not be made up or credited.
- Discretionary makeups: We may sometimes be able to offer you a makeup at our discretion, in the following circumstances only:
- Your child is sick more than once in the semester and you notify us by 10am weekday/8am weekend.
- Your child is sick when arriving from school on the lesson day and you notify us immediately.
- Your family is traveling out of town, you notify us of this in writing at least a week before the missed lesson, and we fill the spot with someone to whom we already owe an excused absence makeup.
- Your child is sick more than once in the semester and you notify us by 10am weekday/8am weekend.
Discretionary makeups will be handled via cancellation slots only. There are no guarantees, but we’ll offer one if we can when another student cancels within the same semester.
Please note that we will not ask teachers to add extra time to their schedules for a discretionary makeup. Please also note that missed or canceled discretionary makeups cannot be rescheduled.
9. No-shows: Under no circumstances will makeups be offered for “no-shows”.
10. Snow days: Snow days and other weather emergencies will be handled via the regular schedule on our dedicated Zoom platform. If this is prevented by widespread power outages, there will a maximum of one weather reschedule per semester.
11. Non-solicitation/non-compete: Please note that WSM teachers are under contract that they may not take students from WSM families into their private studios for the period of a family's enrollment at WSM, and for 12 months thereafter.
Chamber Music/PlayTogether Go Policies
Our Chamber Music/PlayTogether Go Policies reflect our desire to
- create a satisfying experience for all ensemble members
- maintain a reasonably smooth administrative process.
- Assignment to ensembles: We will put together chamber music ensembles based on age range and playing level. Ensembles may be for any combination of instruments.
Students who do not take private lessons at WSM should schedule a brief “get-to-know-you” evaluation first, so we can hear you play something you’re comfortable with and find you appropriate partners.
- Enrollment and payment: Once you have been assigned to an ensemble and all members have agreed to a coaching time, we will invoice you for the session. At that point payment is due in full. We reserve the right to give your spot to someone else if payment is delayed.
- Withdrawal: Once enrolled as in (2) above, written notice is required for withdrawal. Failure to notify WSM does not release a student from his/her financial obligation. Once written notice is received by email, or delivered to us by regular mail, refunds are offered as follows. Written notice:
- 14 days or more before date of first class: 50% refund of tuition
- 13 days or less before first class: no refunds
- Scheduling and makeups: Once we find you a weekly coaching time based on ensemble members’ input, regular attendance is expected, as small ensembles depend on attendance by all members to create a satisfying experience for all.
- Snow days: We offer one snow makeup per 10-week session for chamber music ensembles.
- COVID-19: If it becomes necessary for any reason to stop meeting in person, instructors will adapt the curriculum to provide a rewarding online experience for students for the remainder of the session.
Because of the logistics of scheduling two or more students and a coach, we cannot guarantee chamber music class makeups for any other reason. In general, the coach will take the place of any missing student during a coaching session. However, if more than one student is absent from a particular coaching, we will attempt to schedule one makeup class for the group per 10-week session, if possible.
Group Class Policies*
- Enrollment: Completed registration and full payment are required to hold your spot. There are no refunds for group classes once the student is officially registered.
- Partial credit towards another class may be considered for extenuating circumstances such as prolonged, documented serious illness or injury. To be considered for such a credit, withdrawal notification must be submitted to WSM in writing. Failure to attend classes/lessons does not qualify as notification. Failure to notify WSM does not release a student from his/her financial obligation.
- For snow days when travel is unsafe, we will generally teach the class at its scheduled time via our dedicated Zoom platform. In the case of a power outage, there will a maximum of one snow reschedule per session. This will generally be added on at the end of the session, on the regular day and time. However, in case of space limitations we reserve the right to make alternative day/time arrangements for a snow makeup.
- Cancellation: WSM will cancel a class if there is insufficient enrollment. If a class is cancelled, full tuition and any applicable registration fees will be refunded to the student.
*Please note that group classes offered through Wayland Recreation register directly with them, and are subject to their policies rather than ours.
Summer Half and Full Day Program Policies
- Enrollment: Completed registration and full payment are required to hold your spot. There are no refunds for summer day programs within 6 weeks of the program start date, once the student is officially registered and paid.
- Health and Safety: Participants agree to follow health and safety procedures as mandated by the Wayland Board of Health and State of Massachusetts, and provided to families by Wayland School of Music.
- Full day: Participants enrolled for both morning and afternoon session may stay between sessions at no extra charge, and supervision will be provided.
- Behavior policy: We aim to provide an enjoyable experience for all participants. Therefore, participants agree to follow directions of program counselors and staff. If after reasonable and appropriate redirection and help, a participant's behavior endangers self and/or others, or negatively impacts the camp experience of other participants, parent or caregiver will be called to remove the participants for the rest of the day. If this happens a second time, participants will be required to withdraw from camp and no refund will be given.
- Cancellation: WSM will cancel a program if there is insufficient enrollment. If a program is cancelled, full tuition and any applicable registration fees will be refunded to the student.
From time to time Wayland School of Music may use video, photos or audio of students and attending caregivers, taken at WSM sponsored events, for publicity or marketing purposes. Additionally, faculty may make video or audio recordings during classes, lessons, and performances for pedagogical reasons.
Students are NEVER identified by name, only by activity and age (e.g. "Pianist age 10", "Age 6-7 violin group class").
By registering you consent that video, photos and audio taken during any WSM sponsored activity, including classes, lessons, performances and events, whether in person or online, may be used for publicity, marketing or pedagogical purposes, UNLESS a written request to opt out is submitted at the time of registration.